Have you ever had a random craving for tomato soup? I never did until just a few weeks ago (maybe it’s the baby??) and now I feel like I just can’t get enough of it! Growing up my mom used to make it for us all the time, but I was never really a fan. In fact, I went probably ten years or so before trying some tomato soup again, and y’all… It was like my eyes were opened to a whole new world! If you haven’t had Panera’s tomato soup, you need to try it. Seriously amazing!
So when the weather was super cold last week, the only thing that sounded good was a big bowl of homemade tomato soup, and I decided to try my hand at making some.
I channeled my inner Panera (yes, that is SO a thing haha!) and hit up the grocery store to get my tomato soup ingredients. I went for on the vine tomatoes – they smell like summer to me! – tomato sauce and tomato paste to really drive that tomato flavor home. Paired with some sautéed onions, fresh basil, a little bit of chili powder and lots of oregano, the soup was spot on! I also made some fresh grilled cheese sandwiches to dip in the soup (because can you REALLY have tomato soup without a grilled cheese?!) and y’all… it doesn’t get much better than that! It was the perfect meal to warm up on a cold cold night, and totally hit the spot.
The best part of all was that this soup was so easy to make! I just boiled the tomatoes in water until the skin started peeling off, then transferred to an ice bath to cool down for peeling. While the tomatoes cooled, I cooked the onions and garlic, then added the peeled tomatoes to the pot, crushing them in my hand as I did. I brought the tomatoes, sauce, paste and seasonings to a boil, and let it simmer for a while to cook everything through and to incorporate all the flavors. Finally I poured it all into a blender and blended it up. And voila! Tomato soup!
Yes, it’s a little more hands-on than your Campbell’s tomato soup from a can, but also SO much better! It has fresh ingredients, less sodium, and the taste is unparalleled. AND you can just reheat leftovers throughout the week when that craving hits, or freeze the rest for later. #winnerwinner
So what are you waiting for? It’s tomato soup time. 😉
Check out this beef and veggie soup for another heartwarming recipe!
- 3 lbs tomatos (or two 28 oz cans of whole tomatoes)
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 8 oz tomato paste
- 1/2 cup veggie broth
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- If you are using canned tomatoes, skip this step:
- Get a large pot of water boiling with tomatoes in it. Boil the tomatoes until the skin starts peeling off. Transfer then to an ice bath to cool down so you can peel them easily.
- While the tomatoes are cooling, cook the onion and garlic in a large pot using the olive oil until fragrant and golden brown.
- Peel the skin off the tomatoes with your hands (it should slide right off), then add them to the pot with the onion and garlic, squeezing each tomato as you do to break it down a little better.
- Add the tomato sauce, paste and veggie broth to the pot and bring the soup to a boil.
- Pour the soup into a blender and blend until it forms an even consistency and all the tomatoes are blended well. Return the soup to the pot.
- Season the soup and simmer for 30 minutes, or until all the flavors have combined. Don't be afraid to taste test and add some more seasoning as you go. Trust me... I did a lot of this until I got the perfect flavor!
- Pair with some crunchy grilled cheese and you have the perfect meal to beat the winter blues.
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
Do you like tomato soup on a cold night?
What is your favorite thing to pair with your tomato soup?