Y’all I cannot even begin to tell you how amazing this breakfast bowl is. When planning my meals for the week, I knew I wanted a filling and veggie filled breakfast, and let’s just say this recipe hit the spot. As you probably know by now, I am a HUGE breakfast fan, so when I say this is one of my favorite meals I’ve ever made, that means a lot. 😉
When deciding what to include in the bowl, I went straight to some of my favorite fall flavors. Even though it’s still in the 90s here in North Texas (bleh), I’m starting to get into the fall-y mood, and I can definitely see that in the foods I’ve been making lately. Between my chili last week, and pot roast and breakfast bowl this week, fall has hit the Hicks household and it’s not leaving for another 3 months!
I love getting my veggies in first thing in the morning, and since savory meals are basically all you can have while on Whole30, I embraced them in this meal. Between the roasted goodness of the sweet potato and butternut squash, and the caramelized deliciousness of the onions and mushrooms, I couldn’t ask for a more delicious breakfast to have this week. That with some crumbled bacon and freshly scrambled eggs, and I am seriously in breakfast bowl heaven every morning. #notlying
While it takes a bit of time to prep this meal on Sunday, throwing everything together in the morning takes less than five minutes. I like to scramble my eggs the “Gordon Ramsay” way- minus the butter- fresh every morning (I’m not a reheated eggs kinda gal), and just microwave the veggie and bacon mixture while the eggs are cooking. Easy peasy!
So if you’re looking for a tasty way to enjoy the first meal of the day, you will LOVE this Taste of Fall Breakfast Bowl. Not only is it packed with protein and vitamins, but it will keep you full and satisfied for hours. That’s my kinda meal!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- Salt & pepper
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 2 eggs scrambled (per serving!)
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spread the diced sweet potatoes and butternut squash on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with some olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes and squash are soft.
- Head a pan with 2 tsp of olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until slightly translucent. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until they are nicely caramelized, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cajun seasoning, then remove from heat.
- On a medium cooking sheet, lay out the bacon strips and bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through, or until it's cooked and crispy!
- Pour all the veggies into a large bowl. Chop up the bacon and add to the bowl, mix everything together.
- Now your veggie base is ready! Store it in airtight containers to use throughout the week.
- Every morning, scramble two eggs to go on top, and you're good to go.
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
What are your favorite fall veggies?
Do you have a go-to bowl recipe you like to make?