Two and a half weeks ago, two of our best friends had a baby (check out their hospital newborn session here). Sweet Tommie Grace is seriously adorable and I have gone to visit every chance I get. Aunt Becca needs her Tommie fix! And honestly, who doesn’t love some sweet baby snuggles and hanging out with good friends? So the other day Isaac and I brought the new family of three some dinner, and a few days later Brooke texted me basically begging for the recipe. And who am I to deny her request? 😉
When thinking of a recipe to bring them, the first thing that came to mind was a tasty pasta dish. Because let’s be honest… who doesn’t love pasta?! I’ve also been all about those Cajun spices lately (which is made easy thanks to my pal Tony Chachere), and from that this recipe was born. I loaded up the pasta with lots of veggies, sausage, chicken and my favorite gluten free pasta.
But the real star of the show was the sauce. Mike can’t eat dairy, but I knew a creamy sauce would be perfect for this dish, so I made my new favorite thing ever: cashew sauce. It became a staple in our house while I was on Whole 30, and it’s the perfect way to add creaminess without using any milk or cheese. Dairy free creamy pasta? Yes please! Best of all, it’s SUPER easy to make. Like seriously, two minutes and you’re done, no cooking needed. Doesn’t get much better than that!
Are you starting to see why Brooke begged me for the recipe? 😉 But seriously, this recipe is a new favorite, and I know it’s going to be a staple in our household. Besides, who doesn’t love being able to indulge in some yummy pasta without all the guilt and without feeling weighed down?
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium diced onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 chicken breasts
- 14 oz andouille sausage
- Salt & pepper
- 1 squash
- 1 bell pepper (I used red!)
- 2 cups cooked pasta (I used quinoa pasta from Costco)
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and cook the onion and garlic until soft and fragrant.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken into bite sized pieces, and slice the sausage on the diagonal. Add to the pot and cook until the chicken is mostly done. Season with salt and pepper.
- Chop the zucchini and bell pepper into small pieces, add to the pot and continue to cook until the chicken is done and the veggies are tender.
- In a small blender cup, blend together the cashews and chicken broth until a cream has formed.
- Season the veggie/meat mixture with the Cajun seasoning, and stir to combine.
- Remove the pot from the heat, and pour the cashew sauce and pasta into the pot. Stir until the meat, veggies and pasta are completely covered by the sauce.
- Serve while warm!
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
Have you ever tried making your own “cashew cream” before?
What’s your favorite way to healthify a pasta recipe?