In high school, my favorite fast food restaurant was Taco Bell. You couldn’t beat their bean burritos, and I was all over the chicken flatbread sandwiches when they first came out. I have lots of fun memories from my senior year, when we would get food before football games, or hang out with friends while chowing down on cheap “Mexican” food. I still *secretly* love Taco Bell, and go there every once in a while when the cravings hit. So the other day when Isaac and I were brainstorming what I could make him for lunch this week, it’s no surprise Taco Bell came to mind. Isaac’s favorite thing to get there is the shredded chicken burrito, and I decided to try my hand at making a copy cat recipe.
The verdict? Amazing.
Isaac said it tasted a lot like the Taco Bell version, but way better. He really liked the sour cream sauce I made, and said the chicken tasted very similar to the original burrito. It probably had to do with the fact that I used real chicken and cheese, and the cilantro lime rice was freshly made that morning. Best of all, the burritos were so easy to put together! I am definitely adding these to Isaac’s lunch rotation.
The star ingredient in these burritos was Mateo’s Salsa Verde. I bought ours at our local Kroger, but he also sells them online. I’m not kidding when I say this salsa is my favorite store bought brand. It’s not too spicy, and the tomatillos and spices give it a delicious flavor. It has the perfect balance between spicy, sweet and salty. You NEED to get some!
What is your favorite fast food meal?
Shredded Chicken Burrito
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4-1/3 cup salsa verde*
- 4 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup salsa verde*
- 2 cups white or brown rice, cooked
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 burrito sized tortillas
- Mix the sour cream sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Shred the rotisserie chicken, then mix with taco seasoning and salsa. Set aside.
- Cook 1 cup rice according to package directions (which will make 2 cups cooked). Once the rice is cooked, mix the cilantro, lime juice and seasonings. Set aside.
- On a large burrito tortilla, place 2 Tbsp of the sour cream sauce, 1/2 cup of chicken, 1/4 cup of rice and 1/4 cup of cheese. Roll the burrito and chow down!
- *I used Mateo's Salsa Verde
- You can store the burritos in the fridge for up to 5 days. I wrapped each one in plastic wrap for Isaac to grab and throw in his lunch box on his way to work.
- Or you can place the burritos in a freezer safe baggie and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.