Today’s recipe is definitely one of my new favorite ways to enjoy lunch! If you are a meal prep veteran, or just trying it for the first time, I highly recommend adding this into your rotation. Not only is this recipe one of the easiest and quickest meals to throw together, but it provides you with a balanced meal that will keep you full all afternoon. It just doesn’t get better than some chicken, roasted veggies and ancient grains!
This lunch is one of the most versatile meals you can make. I used rotisserie chicken from Costco (because it’s just so darn easy and delicious!), and roasted a big pan of veggies. This week I roasted some carrots, zucchini and brussels sprouts, but any veggies work. Some of my favorite additions are mushrooms, butternut squash, asparagus and onions. Roasting vegetables is one of my favorite ways to prepare them, because it adds so much flavor and texture, and all you have to do is cut them up, season ’em and throw them in the oven. Easy peasy, amiright?!
To add some extra texture and healthy carbs into the meal, I used a rice & ancient grains medley that I found at Costco the other day. Y’all… the samples get me every time! When I tried this rice, and heard that it only takes 10 minutes to make, I was sold. And let me tell ya, it doesn’t disappoint! This rice blend was the perfect way to add in some carbs and fiber, and it was worth every penny.
If you are meal prepping this for the week, make sure you have some containers on hand that you can fill after cooking all the food. This makes it oh so easy to just grab and go when you’re on your way to work! I LOVE using glass containers (like these) for portioning my meals, because I don’t have to worry about damaging the container when I microwave my meal at lunchtime. Glass is the way to go, y’all!
- 1 1/2 cups Rice & Ancient Grains Medley
- 3 cups water or chicken broth
- 2 cups brussel sprouts
- 1 1/2 cups carrots
- 1 1/2 zucchini
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken breast
- In a medium sauce pan, mix the dry rice with the water or broth. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes. Turn the heat off and let it stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Chop the ends off the brussels, remove some of the outside leaves, then slice in half.
- Peel the carrots and chop into 1/4 inch sized discs.
- Wash the zucchini, then slice each in half long wise. Chop into 1/4 inch slices.
- Toss the veggies in Tbsp of olive oil, and sprinkle on the seasonings. Roast for 30 minutes, or until the veggies are tender. Turn the broiler on high for 5 minutes to get a little extra flavor and crunch in your veggies.
- 1/2 cup rice medley
- 1 1/2 cups veggies
- 1/2 cup chicken
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
What is your favorite meal to prep for lunch?
Do you fall prey to samples too? ; )
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small compensation if a purchase is made using one of these links- at no extra charge to you! This helps keep Happily the Hicks up and running, and gives me the ability to continue to bring you content and products that you will love. <3