If you know me, you know how much I love an easy dinner recipe that is not only nutritious but quick to throw together at a moment’s notice. Knowing we have a sweet baby coming soon, I’ve been ALL about easy meals and I know they will continue to make an appearance in my kitchen over the next few weeks and months. And that’s where today’s recipe for Italian Pesto Pasta comes into play. I wanted a filling dinner that also featured some of the veggies I crave, lots of protein and brimming with flavor. Y’all… this meal has it all!
The inspiration for today’s recipe was actually one of the Hello Fresh meals Isaac and I have had over the past few months (read my full review of Hello Fresh here!). The other day we had one of their meals with ravioli, sausage and a simple sauce. It was DELICIOUS. And then it hit me… Why couldn’t I take that recipe, give it my own *healthier* twist and share it here?
Boom: Italian Pesto Pasta
This recipe features some of my all time favorites. Brown rice and quinoa pasta. Sweet Italian sausage. Roasted zucchini. Fresh tomatoes. Mushrooms. Spinach. And a spoonful of pesto. So simple and SO tasty! Best of all you can make this meal in about 30 minutes, making it the perfect meal for a busy weeknight dinner. And with all those tasty veggies in there, you’ll be eating a ton of vitamins and nutrients without even realizing in! I’m all about sneaking in the veggies as much as I can. : )
- 8 oz dried brown rice and quinoa pasta (I got mine at Aldi!)
- 1 lb sweet italian sausage
- 1 large zucchini
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup pesto
- Preheat oven to 350. Thinly slice the zucchini, toss in olive oil and evenly spread out on a baking pan (make sure none of the pieces are overlapping). Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the zucchini is brown and slightly crispy on the edges.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water, then drain the rest and set pasta aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage on medium heat until no longer pink in the middle, about 5-7 minutes. Drain excess oil.
- Add the tomatoes and mushrooms to the pan and cook until they are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the reserved pasta water and pesto. Stir and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add the zucchini and spinach to the pan and mix to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
Do you have a go to weeknight meal you love making?
Have you ever taken a recipe you’ve loved and given it your own twist? How did it turn out?