I can’t believe we are already halfway through the first week of school! It’s crazy to see the difference a year makes, and how much more prepared and confident I feel this time around. I miss my kiddos from last year like crazy (and look forward to seeing them at dismissal time), but this new group of third graders is awesome, and I know it will be an amazing year. Sometimes I find myself wondering why I’m a teacher, but the minute I see my class of smiling faces I know I’m in the right place. There’s just something special about having a group of students who love you, who want to learn, and have fun at school. I never knew how much my kiddos would mean to me until I started teaching and realized that they will always hold a special place in my heart.
With the start of the school year also comes the start of packing lunches. As I promised a couple of weeks ago, I’m sharing some back to school lunch recipes that you will love! My focus is to make them a good balance of carbs, veggies and protein to give you a power packed lunch to push you through the afternoon grind. Last week I shared one of my favorite pasta salads, and this week it’s a delicious ground turkey and rice bowl that is amazing. It’s so easy to whip together, and y’all… it’s delicious. I made it on Sunday night while meal prepping for the week, and it’s definitely a keeper. I love the nuttiness the brown rice adds, and the kale and tomatoes add a freshness to the bowl that pulls it all together. It’s amazing, I promise!
So without further ado, here’s the recipe. What are your favorite recipes you make for lunch?
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 3 cups kale, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp parsley
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- In a large skillet, brown the turkey.
- Before turkey is fully cooked, add the kale and tomatoes. Cover and cook until the kale is tender.
- Lower the heat and add the tomato paste, seasonings and rice. Stir until completely mixed and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and enjoy it hot!
- Store in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 7 days.
- I like to store mine in glass dishes that make heating it up easy! I just microwave each serving for 1:30-2:00 minutes and it's good to go.