Who else loves breaking out the grill once summer hits? This is my first official week of “summer” (I put it in quotations because I’m teaching summer school), and you better believe I’m craving all things grilled. It just doesn’t get better than some grilled chicken and veggies, and I love the smell of the grill when it gets going. It is the smell of summer in my mind! Anyone else with me?
Living in an apartment has its perks (hellooo 24 hour maintenance and no yard work!), but it’s not always sunshine and butterflies. I think one of the biggest inconveniences is the fact that starting up the grill is an event in itself. My sweet husband is such a great sport about it, but it’s definitely not his favorite thing in the world to cart our grill across the parking lot and have to walk back and forth from our apartment to the grill when cooking. But he does it for me, and I am SO thankful for that. Especially when it’s multiple times a week (you’re the best Isaac!). 😉
You may have seen the kabobs we made for Memorial Day last week, and they were SO GOOD that we made some more this week. And yes, I couldn’t resist sharing the recipe with you. They are Whole30 approved, and ah-ma-zing. Also, all the credit for this recipe goes to Isaac! He came up with the marinade, made the kabobs and grilled them. All I did was cut the veggies! I found me a winner, y’all.
To go with the kabobs, I made some prosciutto wrapped asparagus. If you haven’t tried this out yet, trust me, you should. The grill gives the asparagus a delicious flavor, the prosciutto adds saltiness, and it’s like heaven in your mouth. I don’t think I’ll look at asparagus the same way ever again! It was a great side for the kabobs, and definitely something I’ll make time and time again.
This recipe is perfect for your next cookout, and let me know if you give it a try. 🙂
- 1 1/2 pounds rib steak (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 large chicken breast (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp your favorite Cajun seasoning
- 2 bell peppers, cored and cut into squares
- 1 onion, peeled, quartered and layers separated
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 skewers
- 8 asparagus stalks
- 4 thin slices of prosciutto
- Marinade the chicken and beef in the ACV, olive oil and cajun seasoning for 1 hour.
- Heat up your grill and in the meantime assemble your kabobs! We alternated meats on each stick, and added a few pieces of each veggie to the kabob.
- Cook on the grill for 15 minutes, or until the meat is cooked all the way through.
- Cut off the thick, white ends of each asparagus stalk. Wrap two stalks together with the prosciutto.
- Cook on the grill until the asparagus is tender and prosciutto is nice and crispy.
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
What is your favorite kabob combo?
What do you love grilling during the summer?