After last week’s breakfast bowl, I decided to keep up with the theme and make a lunch bowl this week. I loved how simple it was to prep and enjoy a delicious breakfast every morning last week, and who doesn’t want that same amount of ease when it comes to lunch? I wanted something that would be quick to throw together, was full of veggies and protein, and that I would enjoy eating throughout the week. So I decided on a sausage and cabbage lunch bowl, and let me tell ya.. It hit the spot!
To be honest, I never thought I’d actually enjoy eating cabbage. I remember watching Charlie and the Chocolate factory as a kid, and being so grossed out with the cabbage stew they were eating. Yuck. It wasn’t till my mission trip to Chile a few years ago that I finally gave cabbage a try, and I was blown away. Not only was it delicious (I feel like the copious amounts of butter used to cook it was partly to blame), but it was super easy to cook and it’s fairly inexpensive to buy. Win, win, win!
Also, did you know that cabbage is actually GREAT for you? It’s an excellent source of vitamins K, C and B6, as well as a good source of other vitamins and minerals (like manganese, potassium and B1). It’s low in fat and high in fiber, and research has shown that it can help with Type 2 Diabetes, and other diseases like cancer and heart disease. Red cabbage in particular is rich in antioxidants, and can help boost your immune system due to its high amounts of vitamin C.
Pretty awesome, huh? Who would have guessed that the head of cabbage you pass by at the grocery store is actually so good for you?
To go with my cabbage, I also sliced up an onion, carrots and bell pepper to sauté all together. I wanted my lunch to be packed with veggies, and I love the combination of those different flavors and textures. Cooking them in ghee added a ton of flavor (and kept the recipe Whole30 approved!), and the chicken sausage on top was the perfect finishing touch.
I love it when I look forward to my meals throughout the day, and let’s just say this one is a meal I can’t wait to eat again. Yum!
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 bag pre-shredded red cabbage*
- 1 bag pre-shredded green cabbage*
- 4 chicken sausage links (pre cooked)
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp basil
- In a large skillet, melt the ghee. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic and carrot and cook until the onion is slightly translucent.
- Pour in the shredded cabbage and cover with a lid to soften it up a bit. After a few minutes, stir the veggies together and continue cooking until the cabbage is softened and cooked down.
- Add the spices and mix together. Remove from heat.
- Slice the sausage into bite sized pieces and put them on top the cabbage mixture.
- Store in the fridge in airtight containers for up to a week.
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
What is your go-to easy meal to make for lunch?
What are your feelings towards cabbage? 😉