This is the first post of the new year, and I can’t believe I’m actually sitting here writing it. A new year means so many thing to me. Not only does it give me the chance to look back and reflect on the year that just ended, but it’s the perfect time to sit down and look ahead. It also marks a year since I seriously began blogging here at Happily the Hicks! How cool is that? I never imagined my blog would become what it is now, and I wouldn’t change it for anything. Before I share some of the awesome plans I’ve been working on for 2017, I want to spend a little bit looking back at 2016.
Reflecting on 2016
This past year was one of the toughest, busiest and most fulfilling years of my life. If I had to pick one word to describe 2016, it would be “joy“. God taught me so much about finding joy in Him regardless of the circumstances. In the middle of heartbreak and insecurity, I learned how important it is to turn to Him and find joy, peace and security in His presence. He taught me how look to Him when things are good, because it’s all due to Him. Joy has become such a big part of who I am, and it has completely changed the way I approach life. I give thanks to the Lord for his mercy and grace, and for choosing me to be his heir in Christ.
Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.
1 Peter 1:8-9
Here at Happily the Hicks, things have been BUSY. I went from randomly posting when I thought of something to write, to becoming more organized, finding creativity in all sorts of ways and sharing some of my best recipes with y’all. Here are some of my favorite posts from 2016…
- Breakfast Empanadas
- Blueberries & Cream Trail Mix
- Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potato
- Blueberry Zucchini Muffins
- Healthy Breakfasts for Busy Mornings
- Turkey Dinner Tamales
- Hot Chocolate Bar DIY
- Cranberry Apple Pie Protein Balls
- Dallas Farmers Market
- Alamo 13.1 Race Recap
- Dear Me On the First Day of School
- Year One
- Roamin’ Romania
- Five Reasons Why Teaching is the Best Job
- Favorite Fall Dates
- Give Thanks in Every Circumstance
Wow so much happened in 2016! Isaac and I ran our second half marathon (and we’re doing the same one again this March- yay!). I finished my first year of teaching and survived. We went on our very first overseas mission trip together and learned SO much about Romania, sharing the gospel and serving others. I wrote my first sponsored post, and many more after that. And then in October, I found out that my dad has cancer. It has been a year of ups and downs, but I wouldn’t change any part of it. I know that everything has and is happening for a reason, and that ultimately God will be glorified and we will be edified and sanctified through it.
Coming Up At Happily the Hicks
As I said earlier, I’ve been cooking up some awesome things for 2017. Here are just a few things I have up my sleeves:
- Monthly recipe themes– January’s theme is Light and Fresh, and look out for Meatless March in a couple of months!
- Fitness Fridays– On the first Friday of every month I’ll share my favorite fitness moves. This month’s focus is HIIT.
- OOTD– Twice a month I’ll share my favorite outfits and links for you to purchase the same (or similar) things. SO EXCITED.
- Half Marathon Training– Every few weeks there will be a recap of how training is going, and my tips and tricks for keeping your body healthy while training for a half marathon.
- More sponsored posts and giveaways– I personally LOVE giveaways, and I know you do too! So I’m keeping them going this year and I know you’re going to go head over heels for some of the fun posts I have planned.
This year is going to be legend… wait for it… DARY. I can’t wait to see what 2017 holds!
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
Is there anything else you would like to see here?
What are your plans for the new year?