These chicken lettuce wraps are a light and fresh recipe that is perfect for lunch or an easy dinner.
Today’s a big day! Not only is this my first recipe post of the new year, but it’s also the kick start to this month’s recipe series, Light & Fresh. I know one of the most popular New Years resolutions we make is being more intentional about the foods we eat, and I’m here to help! For the month of January, I will be sharing some of my favorite Light & Fresh recipes with you, that are full of flavor, use fresh ingredients, and that your body will love. I am so excited for this, and I know you are going to fall head over heels with some of the awesome recipes I have planned. 2017 is gonna be epic!
Now on to the recipe… Lettuce wraps are a lot of fun. There are so many different ways you can go with them, but the most common is with a little Asian flair. I decided to go for a lighter version of orange chicken with lots of veggies. The result? Some killer chicken wraps! These wraps are perfect for taking to work for lunch, or even for a light dinner that your family will love. To make packing lunch easier you can bring the filling in a container, and the prepped lettuce in a sandwich bag. When it’s time for lunch, just wrap it up and you’re good to go!
For the filling, I made an orange sauce with fresh orange juice, water, rice vinegar and soy sauce. I added some cooked chicken breast, mushrooms and julienned butternut squash. Easy and full of flavor!
One of my favorite life hacks lately has been using the shredded rotisserie chicken breast you can buy in bulk from Costco. It cuts down on cook time, and I don’t have to worry about cleaning a whole cooked chicken. Win-win, y’all. I swear, the membership to Costco is worth it just for the chicken… And their awesome samples, of course!
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice (about 6 small oranges)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup butternut squash, julienned
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Salt & pepper
- 5 romaine lettuce leaves
- Spinach leaves (optional)
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the sauce ingredients at medium heat until boiling. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir continually until sauce has thickened (about 5-10 minutes). Remove from heat.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil and cook the mushrooms and butternut squash until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and veggies to the sauce and stir together.
- Prep the lettuce by washing the leaves and cutting off the thin, tougher part of the leaf (closest to the stem).
- In the center of the lettuce, spoon out about 1/3 cup of the mixture. Top with spinach, and roll up. Hold the wrap together with toothpicks.
- Enjoy your wraps with a warm or cold filling.
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
What is your favorite way to lighten up one of your favorite foods?
What is one of your resolutions?