Today I’m comin’ atcha with my newest recipe obsession- Baked Chicken Parmesan. I’ve made it twice in the past two weeks, and just can’t get enough of it. Between the homemade bread crumbs, perfectly cooked chicken, and delicious parmesan cheese, there’s a reason I’m so excited to share this with you today!
The other day I had a random craving for some Chicken Parmesan, so I decided I’d try my hand at making some, and boy and I glad I did. It was so good, in fact, that we devoured all the chicken I had made, and I couldn’t wait to make it again this week! It’s simple, delicious, and a fun way to change up your typical baked chicken recipe.
I decided to make this recipe a little lighter by baking the chicken rather than frying, like the traditional chicken parmesan. You still get all the delicious flavors (and crunch, especially if you broil at the end) of the regular stuff, without the added calories from the oil. That, paired with some yummy marinara sauce (I always look for some without sugar added, or make my own), my favorite Ancient Grains GF pasta and sautéed brussels sprouts made for an amazing (and filling) dinner!
I decided to make my own bread crumbs for the crust on the chicken, because well… why not? It was so simple, too! I just toasted up some GF bread, broke it apart into a food processor, pulsed until it was all crumbled, and I was done! I also mixed in some fresh parmesan and Italian seasoning to the crumbs to add some flavor to the breading. The final result: amazing! Especially when I broiled the chicken for the last 3 minutes to get a nice crunch on top. Mmm mmm mmm!
While the chicken was cooking, I decided to make some veggies to go on the side. First I cooked two strips of bacon in my cast iron pan, then sautéed some quartered brussels sprouts in the bacon grease (ooooh yes!!). Once the brussels were starting to soften, i added in some garlic and mushrooms, and cooked until it was all done. And, of course, I chopped up the bacon and added that in for some extra flavor and crunch. 😉 The veggies were THE perfect side to have with the Chicken Parmesan, and I don’t know about you, but bacon + brussels = heaven.
So what are you waiting for?? You’ll LOVE this recipe, and let me know if you give it a try. 🙂
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3 slices bread (I used gluten free)
- 2 Tbsp fresh parmesan
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 eggs
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, stem removed and quartered
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking pan/sheet with some parchment paper.
- Toast the bread until brown and crunchy. Break it apart into a food processor, then pulse until completely crumbled. Add the parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning and pulse a few more times to combine. Pour into a shallow container for dipping into later.
- In another container, scramble the eggs and set aside.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a paper towel, then cut the breast in half to make two long, thin pieces of chicken.
- Dredge in the egg, then dip into the breading. Make sure both sided are fully covered.
- Place on the pan. Repeat with the other pieces of chicken.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked in the middle. I always use a meat thermometer to make sure my chicken is fully cooked!
- Enjoy with some marinara and pasta for a delicious (and easy) Italian meal at home.
- In a large cast iron pan, cook the bacon until crunchy. Remove from the pan.
- Add the brussels to the pan and cook until they start to soften. Add the mushrooms and garlic.
- Cook the vegetables until the mushrooms are soft and tender, and the brussels are no longer hard in the middle. Add the seasoning and stir together.
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
Have you ever tried making homemade Chicken Parmesan before?
What is your favorite recipe to “lighten up”?