Happy Friday, y’all!
Today’s post is a special one in honor of my birthday this coming Sunday. I can’t believe I’m turning 24 (growing up, I always thought that any age over 21 was super old), and how different my birthday feels now compared to when I was little. I used to literally count down the days months in advance, letting everyone know how many days were left till the big day. Thankfully I’ve outgrown that rather cute (yet very annoying, I can imagine) habit, and now birthdays for me are more about having an excuse to hang out with friends and family! And cake. Lots of cake!
This year, though, my birthday feels somewhat bittersweet. I’m excited for what this coming year will hold, and to see all that the Lord will teach me in the months ahead. The prospect of change is scary, yet exciting at the same time! But, as I look back on year 23, tears spring into my eyes. I am closing the chapter on one of the toughest and most fulfilling years of my life. I have grown so much through the trials and lessons this year has held, and I am definitely not the same girl I started the year off as. I’m a little bit wiser, more careful with the words I say, and more intentional with the time I spend with loved ones. I’ve seen the death of people I hold dear, enjoyed precious snuggles with long awaited newborns, watched my dad go through 6 months of chemo, and seen my older brother fall in love. It has been a roller coaster of a year, but I have never felt so close to my family, nor leaned so much on the Lord before. I love this verse in James that says,
Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
When I feel beat down and heartbroken, I just remember this verse and know that it’s the Lord teaching me to hold on to Him. He’s my anchor, my reason for living, and my ultimate goal is to glorify Him!
So when thinking of a fun way to end this year of life, I decided to share 24 things (I bet) you didn’t know about me. Because who doesn’t love learning a few juicy secrets about others? ; )
- I was potty trained while on a camping trip, because apparently I loved the big hole in the ground we had to use.
- When I was in 4th grade, I knew I would someday be a famous singer (HA!), so I came up with my first album title and cover. Let’s just say “Girl for God” (GFG for short) never made it big.
- Sometimes I have dreams that I forget to wear my retainer at night and all my teeth fall out.
- If I could be any animal in the world I’d be a Golden Retriever. Not because I’m biased or anything…
- After reading “The Princess Diaries” series in middle school, I kept my own extensive journals of every detail of my life- for three years. Needless to say, they were not near as interesting as the books.
- When I was 6 I think I accidentally killed my brother’s pet hamster by poking it a little too hard with a pencil.
- In elementary school I LOVED the entire Little House on the Prairie series, Anne of Green Gables, and Nancy Drew. So naturally, any time one of my students asks for a book recommendation, I give them one of those ; )
- My dream vacation is either a trip to Hawaii or a tour of Europe.
- I am terrified of going on a cruise, because of three things: 1. Titanic (‘nuf said) 2. What if we run out of fuel? 3. What if a disease breaks out on our ship and we all get it and die?
I’m not dramatic or anything.
- Anytime someone comments on the fact that I like drinking my coffee black, I always respond with “Thanks, I’m trying to grow out my chest hair.”
- I HAVE to make my bed (or make Isaac do it) every morning. And if I come home to a bed that’s not made, you better believe that’s the first thing I do!
- I used to wear my brother’s glasses to make my eyes “go bad” (as my mom called it) because I thought glasses were cool. It didn’t work, and my vision is still 20-20.
- In 6th grade, I went through a short story phase where I wrote everything from love stories to murder mysteries to adventures. I thought they were amazing, but reading them now… Bless my 6th grade ELA teacher!
- If I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life, it would be pizza.
- Mine and Isaac’s first “date” was running 3 miles, then going to Sonic afterwards. #soulmates
- I will never run a full marathon. My limit is a half, and that’s where I’m stayin’!
- My favorite fast food item is a bean burrito. That used to be the only thing I’d order at Taco Bell.
- Even though I am fluent in Spanish, teach in Spanish and live in Texas, I’ve never been to Mexico.
- Growing up, I wanted to be either an artist, singer/songwriter, author, photographer or teacher.
- My favorite chain restaurant is Cracker Barrel. I love their little store section, eating breakfast any time of day, and the roaring fire they have in the dining area during the winter. It brings back so many memories!
- I can’t say no to brownies, fresh donuts, gooey chocolate chip cookies, Kit Kats or Twix, any flavor of Nothing Bunt Cake (SO GOOD), and macaroni and cheese.
- One of my favorite outdoor activities is hiking, and someday I want to go backpacking in Colorado.
- In 7th grade I took a photography class and learned how to develop my own film. The chemicals were nasty smelling, but that class is what got me hooked on photography!
- I met my college best friend, future housemate and maid of honor on Facebook when she randomly messaged me the summer before our freshman year. From there we started texting and planned on meeting up once we moved into our dorms. Little does she know that I had a dream a few weeks before we met that we became BFFs and lived together. I think I’m psychic y’all.
Well there you have it! 24 things I bet you didn’t know about me. : )
Now it’s your turn to talk! Answer one of these questions in the comments below:
Do you have any similar “secrets”?
What is something I don’t know about you?
This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small compensation if a purchase is made using one of these links- at no extra charge to you! This helps keep Happily the Hicks up and running, and gives me the ability to continue to bring you content and products that you will love. <3